I didn’t do it on purpose. I intended on making my kiddos a delicious banana, cinnamon, almond-butter smoothie for an afternoon treat. However, half-way through concocting the liquid yumminess, I noticed that the spice I was sprinkling into the blender looked awfully yellow, unlike the usual cinnamon-color. OOPS. Perhaps I was distracted by Jack’s dramatic superhero acting or by Sadie’s sweet little angelic voice singing the ABCs… But excuses aside, the raw truth was: I did in fact grab the wrong spice and added almost 1/2 teaspoon of Turmeric!! Oh boy.
Now what? Well, after a moment of panic I realized that maybe this wasn’t such a bad thing after all. I remembered a lecture I listened to by Ayurvedic Dr. John Doulliard and suddenly his voice was in my head. He shared a glowing review of this bright yellow Indian spice and mentioned its incredible anti-inflammatory and medicinal properties.
Check out some of the great reasons to add Turmeric to your diet:
- It is a natural liver detoxifier
- It cleanses the blood & promotes healthy skin
- It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory with no side-effects; therefore, it is a natural treatment for arthritis & rheumatoid arthritis
- Strengthens digestion & promotes healthy bacteria
- Supports healthy blood glucose levels
- Prevents & slows the development of Alzheimer’s Disease
- Prevents various forms of cancer from spreading, i.e. breast cancer & prostate cancer
- It is a natural antiseptic & antibacterial agent
- Used for a long time in Chinese Medicine as a treatment for depression
And the benefits go on and on…
For more information, check out the following links (where I grabbed some of the above information):
James Joyce said “Mistakes are the portals of discovery.”
After remembering the vibrant power of Turmeric, I decided to rescue the smoothie; I simply masked the intense spicy taste by adding a few more key ingredients. My wild creation was a success, and both Jack and Sadie wanted more
Curious about the recipe? Discover it below and try making your own, knowing that you are consuming magical, healing spice along with some pure wholesome goodness.
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 large bananas, peeled & cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons raw organic almond butter
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey (optional)
- 1 cup ice
Blend & pulse, pour into 2 tall glasses (or sippy cups , cheers & enjoy!